The First Methodist Church of Toccoa began in 1875 under adversity. Georgia as a whole was going through a period of hardship following the War between the States, but the early settlers in Toccoa were a religious people. This fact is established by the organization of a Union Sunday School during the early days of the Town of Toccoa.
The early Methodists began their worship by holding services in an old building which was used for a school house and located on Doyle Street. The first church that was built was a wooden structure, and was a part of a circuit, but about the turn of the century, it became a full station with services being conducted every Sunday of the year.
In 1876 this small group of twenty-five members purchased a lot on the corner of Doyle and Pond Street on which was erected a wooden church building without any Sunday School rooms and soon became too small for the membership of a growing church.
Toccoa First Begins
At the fourth Quarterly Conference on September 7, 1896 a building committee was appointed to begin plans and supervision of the construction of a new and modern church and to plan the purchase of another lot for additional space. In June, 1897 the congregation went into the new church and began a protracted meeting which resulted in helping to settle the aims and objects for which the church was organized.
On April 13, 1898 the beautiful new church was burned, but immediate work was started to rebuild the new church. The records of May 12, 1898 show the new church that burned was replaced and completed. "We took sweet council together and walked into the house of God in company." Psalm 55:14 Memorial Windows placed in the honor of certain members of the Church were in the building which was rebuilt in 1898.
Toccoa First Grows
This was a growing church! Realizing the need for more Sunday School rooms, a building committee was appointed to start work on building a new Sunday School Annex. Since the building program began just prior to the depression days, it was not until September 15, 1940 that the Sunday School Annex was free of debt and dedicated.
In 1952, a building committee was formed to raise funds for a larger Church. Two lots were donated by the Trogdon family at the corner of East Tugalo and Short Street for the site of the new church building.The Owen lot adjacent to the site was purchased in 1954 and a smaller lot, located across Savannah Street from the church, was obtained to be used for a parking lot. In September of 1957, the Church was completed and dedicated without debt.
Our Church Today
In 1984, the Davis property adjacent to the Church property was obtained from Ms.Martha Davis. This house, on the National Register, was built in 1906 by the Walters family and later acquired by the Davis family. It is named the Walters-Davis House and now houses the Church Offices.
On May 3, 1993 the Cheek Fellowship Hall was dedicated following a building campaign and donation from Ben and Lorene Cheek.
In 2015, renovations began to the 1957 campus. The renewed sanctuary will be updated with new audio-visual components as well as renovations to the pews, new paint, updated lighting and sound. The educational wing received new painting and lighting updates as well. The church also purchased the old Georgia Power office building across Short Street that will become the new home to the Youth and Children Ministries.
Toccoa First United Methodist Church continues to grow not only physically, but spiritually! Come grow with us!!